CROZET TRAILS CREW meeting
Trailside Coffee, Crozet
Thursday, August 12th, 2010
6:00 pm-7:30 pm
- Agenda Review (Jessica Mauzy)
- Introductions if new people are present (Name, interest in the Trails Group)
- Updates from “Action Items” from last meeting *
- Discussion of Building (Labor) activities:
o Workday at Grayrock Ponds—erosion
o Assisting Eagle Scout candidates?
o Maintaining the Old Trail trails?
o Upcoming trail building projects for the Fall
- Discussion of Planning (Logistics) activities:
o Letter writing endeavor – Partnership with the CCA on writing in support of acquiring the Crozet Connector trail corridor in its entirety, Crozet Trails Day
o Marketing materials (cards, fliers, maps…)
o Getting the word out to the community for the Fall
- Next steps- informational booth, next Group meeting (Jessica Mauzy)
- Action Items (From July 8th meeting):
-Organize a workday for putting in erosion control measures at Greyrock ponds (Dan)
This is slated to happen in late September- Date TBD
-Inform Greyrock and Waylands Grant about upcoming workday (Jessica and Alex)
Jessica has spoken with the president of the Grayrock HOA and will continue to be in contact with him regarding letting the neighborhood know about the workdays.
-Write resolution for a Crozet Trails Day (Dan)
-finalize logo design and distribute (Bill and Jessica)
Yes, the 6 logos were voted on and there was a clear first and second choice. These will be posted to the blog and used for marketing materials.
-Write letter of support for Old Trails trail dedication (Bill and Jessica)
Does not need to happen. The County will accept dedication regardless.
-Continue discussions with Eagle scouts (Dan and Brandon)
An Eagle Scout candidate has been identified as wanting to help out with signage around the Crozet Parks.
-Compose a list of potential Scout projects AND CTC projects (Dan)
The list for the scouts has been made.
-Write letter in support of acquring the full corridor for the Crozet Connector Trail. (Buzz and Jessica)
This letter is in the works. Tim Tolson will assist and will represent the CCA.
-Finish building 3-log bridge at Henley Hornets trail (????)
Dan J. and Brandon finished moving the logs to form the temporary bridge.
Rather than writing Minutes in their usual format, here is the email I sent to meeting attendees the day after our meeting:
Regarding the Map/Informational Flier:
Thank you Marcia for giving us some examples to look at; that was very helpful. I think that the sooner we can get something produced, the better. I didn’t mean to blow off Marks suggestion that we decide next month who will do which tasks, but since the Crozet festivals are rapidly approaching, I feel like we need to produce something rather quickly to take advantage of the critical mass at those events.
Crozet Volunteer Fire Dept. Parade: September 18th? (does anyone know the arrangement of this event?)
Crozet Music Festival: October 1-3
Crozet Arts Festival: October 9-10
These dates are just around the corner (where did the summer run off to??) but I know we can have some helpful and attractive materials produced by then.
Dan M. is going to make a map which will go on one side of the flier. On the other side, I think we agreed on the following content (please let me know if I have listed you for a task by mistake):
1. Existing hikes/ recreational opportunities in the Crozet area (Mint Springs, Beaver Creek Reservoir, Old Trail and the schools, Crozet Park)– a short description and directions from the Crozet Square (Dan J. and Mark S.)
2. The CTC mission statement and a short paragraph on the partnership between the CTC and the County (?who wants this piece??)
3. A brief narrative on the CTC/ County vision for the Crozet Trails and Greenway system (should match the map) (Elizabeth Cantrell)
4. Logos- CTC, Alb. County, CCA (is there a logo for CCA?), and any sponsors– such as the print shop? (Jessica M.)
Jessica will compile all the parts and pieces, edit the text, and put it into flier format for your review and approval.
Alex is going to investigate printing costs and sponsorship.
Tim T. is going to talk to the CCA about donations for the CTC going through the CCA.
Tim, Dan M., and Jessica will work on the letter in support of corridor acquisition.